Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Time is near... OMG it's here!

It's almost that time again, and I am running behind my to-do list as usual.. Where did I put those stamps? I can't believe another year has passed by! With the lights dimly lit I gaze at the christmas tree and reminisce about Christmas' past. Just a couple of years ago, I was putting up trees with friends at work and wondering what new holiday drama would unfold before the fateful day! I can almost taste the roast my grampa makes every year and smell the wonderful deserts all laid out for everyone to enjoy!

I remember my children would run around grama's house and just light up with laughter chasing each other and getting scooped up for hugs and kisses from family and friends. It's not the presents under the tree, or the hurried preparations that I remember most; It's everyone's smiles and all the warm hugs and the love filling the room that tears me up inside across the miles from home.


Don't get me wrong... We have love and laughter, sometimes even a roast. We are together, my husband, children (now four of them) and I here in Texas, and we are a family through and through, but I miss everyone so much. I feel so sad that we can't share the excitement and anticipation of new exciting things like the upcoming Christmas day with everyone.

Most days, as my wonderful husband leaves for work, I am happy and fulfilled, but around the holidays I can't help but think about all of the love and support I had when he was away working, and I can't further help but get misty eyed.

Yes, there are worse things, and I know that there is a reason for everything, and we had and have our reasons. We moved here to find ourselves, to build up our family, to stand on our own two feet, (well four if you only count the parents), and find our own rythm to life together. Now that we have found everything we came here hoping for I realize there is still a hole in my heart that only home can fill during the holidays and it kills me to be unable to travel. So I wish and wish and wish and wish... on the big bright Texas sky full of stars that our efforts and struggles will someday soon reap great rewards in the travel budget...

So until then..... if I cry at the light because Home for the Holidays came through so crystal clear on my radio, don't be alarmed, I just miss being home, I miss you all, so I'll quote a lil' of the song Theres No Place Like Home For The Holidays, it was written by Al Stillman, and the music composed by Robert Allen, who both must have felt just as I do right now when they put this song together, so as the song goes:


Oh, there's no place like Home for the holidays

'Cause no matter how far away you roam

When you pine for the sunshine Of a friendly face

For the holidays, you can't beat Home, sweet home.
I met a man who lives in Tennessee And he was headin' for

Pennsylvania And some home made pumpkin pie

From Pennsylvania folks a travelin' down

To Dixie'’s sunny shore

From Atlantic to Pacific,

gee The traffic is terrific.
Oh there's no place like home For the holidays,

'cause no matter How far away you roam

If you want to be happy in a million ways

For the holidays, you can't beat Home, sweet home.


No comments: